The Newcastle Daily Chronicle is now available digitally on the British Newspaper Archive. This is very good news for local history researchers. In the second half of the 19th Century the paper was owned by Joseph Cowen whose editors gave extensive coverage to political and trade union issues. BNA is a subscription site but is available free at Newcastle Central Library (British 19th Century Newspapers).
A Bibliography of Issues 1 to 14 of North East History (1967 to 1980) is now available on this site. Look under “Journal” and the link is close to the top of the page.
Many thanks to Sean Creighton for his work in putting this together. If anyone would like to do similar work on Issue 15 and onwards, please contact the Society, E-mail:
Volume 46 is now available from the North East Labour History Society.
Contains articles On:
• Opposition to the South African War 1988-1902
• Levellers in the North East, 1648
• The General Strike – undermined by volunteers?
• Health Provision for Byker’s Working Poor, 1835-1852
• William Morris and Striking Miners, 1880s
• Haltwhistle in the 1930s
• An Oral History of the CWS
• Norman Cornish and Nornam Dennis – an appreciation
• Book reviews, project reports and NELHS news